Child Support

As discussed in <Access and Custody> what arrangements are made for the children will set the stage for child support.
Child Support isn’t a matter of who makes the most money paying to the other spouse.
Child Support guidelines recognize it is more expensive to run two households than just one. It also recognizes there are additional costs for the custodial parent such as food, clothing and requiring additional bedrooms. Also, there are extra costs depending on the number of children involved.
Money paid in child support is not deductible by the payer nor is it taxable in the hands of the recipient.

The Federal Child Support Guidelines ( have become the standard default for any discussion of child support.
The Child Support Calculator ( is also useful and there’s an FAQ here. (

To deviate from the grid you’ll need to show some special circumstances such as <shared custody> or <split custody>
If there’s an argument to be made to change the base amount, to calculate child support fairly each spouse will be required to submit income tax returns to show their income for the most recent three years along with supporting documents.
You’ll also need to confirm your returns by filing the Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment for each of those years.
If you are an employee – as opposed to self employed – you should include your pay stubs, for as long a period as possible. If you can’t find them, get a letter from your employer stating your salary to date that year, with any bonus payments.
If you are self-employed you will need documents for the three most recent taxation years:
•    Financial statements of your business or professional practice, other than a partnership; and
•    a statement showing a breakdown of all salaries, wages, management fees or other payments or benefits paid to, or on behalf of, persons or corporations with whom you do not deal at arm’s length.

 If you are partner in a partnership:
•    Confirmation of your income and draw from, and capital in, the partnership for its three most recent taxation years.

And if you control a corporation, these documents for its three most recent taxation years:
•    The financial statements of the corporation and its subsidiaries; and
•    A statement showing a breakdown of all salaries, wages, management fees or other payments or benefits paid to, or on behalf of, persons or corporations with whom the corporation, and every related corporation, does not deal at arm's length.

For those who are a beneficiary from a trust:

•    A copy of the trust settlement agreement and copies of the trust’s three most recent financial statements.

And if your income comes from employment insurance, social assistance, a pension, workers compensation, disability payments or any other source:

•    The most recent statement of income showing income from the applicable source during the current year or, if such a statement is not provided, a letter from the appropriate authority stating the required information.

If you are considering a separation or divorce or you’ve been served with notice of a pending hearing in regards to support, call us.

<Set up an <appointment> or call us at  905-666-5326>
Your consultation is free and without commitment

TMB Law - Family Lawyers, Business & Immigration Legal Services

  • Default
  • Title
  • Date
  • Random

    Divorce and separation are some of the most stressful situations a family can experience. With complete information and support, you can get your situation under control.

    Read More

    If you have a child with another person, you both have rights and responsibilities to the child. This includes having the right to spend time with the child

    Read More

    Child Welfare is focused on improving the health, well-being, education and safety of children and youth. In Ontario, many organizations work to ensure the well-being and safety of children.

    Read More

    If you want to get or change a child support order under the Child Support Guidelines, the court will require certain income information.

    Read More

    The law views spousal relationships as financial partnerships. When the partnership breaks down, the person with more income or assets may have to pay support to the other

    Read More

    Division of Property. When a marriage ends, the equal contribution of each person to the marriage is recognized. The law provides that the value of any kind of property that was acquired by a ...

    Read More
load more hold SHIFT key to load all load all